- 2. What are cookies?
- 3. Why are cookies used?
- 4. Consent
- 5. Delete and / or block cookies
The traceability tools can be installed on the user’s device based on the preferences already expressed or that can be expressed at any time in accordance with this policy.
In order to ensure maximum transparency, we have defined this policy to offer the user more information on:
- Origin and purpose of the information processed during the user’s navigation on the site.
- User rights in relation to cookies and other traceability tools used on the site.
2. WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies and other similar traceability tools are data packets used by servers to transmit status information to the user’s browser and send status information to the origin server through the same browser.
Some examples of status information are the identifier of a session, the language, the expiration date, the response field or other types of information.
During their period of validity, cookies are used to store status information when the user accesses the various pages of a website through a browser or when he visits the same site again at a later time.
There are different types of cookies:
- Session cookies are deleted as soon as the user closes the browser or leaves the website
- Persistent cookies remain stored on the user’s device until they expire or are deleted through the browser features
3. WHY ARE COOKIES USED?
Cookies and other traceability tools are mainly used for the following reasons:
Cookies are essential to browse the Websites and make full use of their functions and allow, specifically, to:
- manage visitor authentication on the website and related security measures and ensure the proper functioning of the authentication module;
- optimize the user experience and simplify navigation, in particular by determining “technical routes” for navigation;
- adopt security measures (for example, when the user is asked to log in again to access content or services after a given time interval or to ensure the basic functioning of the Websites and the use of their main functions , including monitoring performance and browsing errors, managing user sessions, etc.).
Functionality cookies are necessary above all for:
- adapt the Websites to the display preferences of the user’s device (language, currency, display resolution, operating system used, configuration and display settings of the Web pages based on the device in use and the user’s location, etc.);
- store information that the user enters on the Websites to facilitate and personalize his subsequent visits to the same sites (including the display of the visitor’s name and surname, if in possession of a user account);
- allow the user to access personal pages more quickly by storing the previously entered login data or information.
Visitor traceability cookies are intended to improve the user experience by helping to understand how the user interacts with the Websites (most visited pages, applications used, etc.); these cookies can collect statistical data or test the various ways of displaying information to improve the relevance and ease of use of the services.
Cookies for advertising purposes are designed to (i) propose targeted content within advertising spaces that may interest the user (best offers, other destinations, etc.) based on their interests, browsing behavior, preferences and to other factors; and (ii) reduce the number of views of advertisements.
Affiliate cookies allow the identification of third party websites that redirect the user to the websites.
Social network cookies, set by third parties, allow the user to share their opinion and the contents of the Websites on social networks (for example, through the “Share” or “Like” buttons of social networks).
In some cases, the social network applications on the aforementioned Websites may allow the corresponding social networks to identify the user even if he does not select the application login button. This type of button can allow a social network to monitor the user’s browsing activity on the Websites simply because the social network account is enabled on the user’s device (open session) while browsing.
We invite the user to read the usage policies of the aforementioned social networks to better understand how they use the navigation information they may collect, especially for promotional purposes. These policies must explicitly allow the user to make choices on social networks, in particular by configuring user accounts for each application.
User consent is required for the installation of some cookies. The user is also asked, when visiting the Websites for the first time, to authorize the installation of this type of cookie, which are activated only after its acceptance.
This procedure is carried out by means of an information banner on the home page of the Websites in which the user is informed that, by continuing to browse, he accepts the installation on his device of the cookies for which authorization is required.
The user can change their choice at any time using one of the methods described in the “Delete and / or block cookies” section.
5. DELETE AND / OR BLOCK COOKIES
There are various ways to delete cookies and other traceability tools.
Although cookies are accepted by default in most browsers, the user can decide, if desired, to accept all cookies, always block cookies or select which cookies to accept based on their origin.
It is also possible to set the browser to accept or block cookies individually before they are installed. From the browser it is also possible to regularly delete the cookies stored on the device. It is important to remember to configure all the browsers installed on the various devices (tablet, smartphone, computer, etc.).
As for the management of cookies and user preferences, the configuration varies from one browser to another. These settings are described in the “help” menu of the browser in use, from where it is also possible to change the preferences relating to cookies. For example:
- For Internet Explorer http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- For Safari http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/cookies
- For Chrome http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&hlrm=en&answer=95647
- For Firefox https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- For Opera http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.20/en/cookies.html
The user has the right to decide whether or not to save a cookie on their device and can change their choice, at any time and free of charge, through the settings available in their browser software.
If the browser is set to accept cookies on the device, the cookies integrated in the pages and content displayed by the user may be temporarily stored in a dedicated space on the user’s device. Cookies are readable only by the issuer.
However, the user can set their web browser to block cookies. Please note, however, that by setting the block of cookies on the browser, it will not be possible to access some features, pages and sections of the AccorHotels Websites and, in this case, AccorHotels declines any responsibility in this regard.
Specialized advertising platforms
Various professional advertising platforms allow the user to accept or block the cookies used by the companies of which they are members. These centralized mechanisms do not block the display of advertisements, but are limited to preventing the installation of cookies that personalize advertisements based on the user’s interests.
For example, you can visit the website http://www.youronlinechoices.com to prevent the installation of cookies on your device. The website was created by digital marketing professionals who adhere to the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) and is operated in France by Interactive Advertising Bureau France.
Tracking management via your web browser extensions
There are many simple and free programs that can be added to your browser to block and manage all types of tracking.
Here are some examples: